Sunday, July 17, 2005

Cat-Attack 2005 --- Urgent Update

Well, it's funny how things work out. Keiko, the cat that Michelle and I took into our apartment stayed in our apartment for two nights so far. She seemed quiet at first, sleeping on our couch for most of the day while giving our other two cats a chance to adjust.

Unfortunately, the perky, bouncy, and VERY vocal kitty that first stepped into our apartment a week ago disappeared by the second day. Keiko just seemed depressed and never wanted to move around or get off the couch.

It turned out that our other two cats had been watching her all night and barring her access to her own food bowl and water. After sitting her down separately, she did eat and drink, but her demeanor didn't change very much.

It was only when I opened up the door that she seemed to perk up, looking directly to the trees and foliage outside. Soon, she was up and standing, paws against glass, right at the screen door. Glances soon turned to pawing and I realized what needed to be done.

I was reluctant, but I had to. I opened the door and she ran out. She was timid at first, I think just because she was confused by the environment she had been in for the previous days, but she soon was back to her old self, bubbly and active.

So it was decided that Keiko will visit the vet one more time to be spayed (athough it appears she may already have been, which is sad because that would confirm that she was a drop-off). I know its weird to be paying for vet visits for an outdoor cat in NOLA, but she is worth it for me. She has her schedule, coming and going at breakfast, lunch and supper - and occassionally letting us know when she wants a snack, but she also has her independence, which I think is what she really needs.

Hopefully, she will stick around. We may even get her a collar if she decides to do so. Pictures still forthcoming since someone has yet to bring the damn camera home from work.

I bet you're wondering what we're going to do with an extra litter box and all the extra cat accessories we now have... Well stay tuned - more to come in Cat Attack 2005!

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

I guess once a cat has become accustomed to the excitement of outdoor life, there is just no replacing it with comfy furniture and air conditioning.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Mr. The Buffalo said...

yeah - she really enjoyed being outside and it was pretty obvious once she got back out there. She still occasionally peeks into our screen door and looks in at us, but it's mostly because she's either curious or hungry. If I put a bowl of food out there she's happy as can be.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

We've really got to get together. When do you take the BAR? I guess you'll be more free to hang out once that is done?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Mr. The Buffalo said...

I start on July 25 - end on July 29 - thank the powers that be - and yes lets get together soon thereafter - or at least when I am not hung over =)

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home